Saturday, December 24, 2011

yinyanging

There's been a lot of yinyang happening in my life lately.

When I bought these mugs from Mahaguthi this week, I had no idea that they'd be yinyanging with each other.

But now I see how they make a perfect pair. It almost seemed like they were teasing me. So I took this metaphor a step further. :)


harmony in my mugs of milk and coffee
There was a time when coffee used to make me sick. Many dark nights of my tender youth were spent chugging mugs of Nescafe, back before organic filter were all the rage. And then running into the bathroom to poop every twenty minutes. As soon as my first mug was gulped down, there would be a wild beating of the heart, accompanied by wilder thoughts. Essays would be finished with a touch of caffeine-induced brilliance. And there would be hours spent lying on the bed, facing the darkness, unable to sleep, weaving thoughts into more complicated thoughts, ideas into daring challenges.

But the post-coffee poop cravings vanished as my body got accustomed to the caffeine. Coffee no longer makes me buzz nor keeps me awake late into the night. But the waft of freshly brewed filter coffee stirs up old memories. 

yin
There was a time when the taste of milk used to make me feel sick. But I don't know when I grew into liking it so much. The trick, I've learned, is to drink it in its purest form, without diluting its taste with sugar or chocolate or Horlicks or Boost. With enough practice, I've learned to discern the subtle taste of milk, it's delicate sweetness.

yang
The whole family loves reading newspapers in the sun. Weekends are the only time when there's opportunity for such leisure. I take my copy of this week's On Saturday and try to read. 

I like my newspaper with coffee and some greenery
Getting distracted by sunlight, browning winter grass, still-green leaves on the guava tree, the start naked stark blue sky, white plastic chairs and the shadows of others reading newspapers in the sun (and perhaps forgetting to read myself) is part of the whole experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment